Friday, October 06, 2006

Good weather.

Well, the sun came out again finally. It's after work on Friday and lower town is packed with people. One last day to pretend it is still summer.

So, this is a post I wanted to make before I started this blog. It's about the wisdom of the ignorant. I was watching TV when I got here and there was a news story about some American movie people who are here shooting a film. It was a standard press conference with the local media at the beginning of the project. One of the local journalists asked one of the actors (one I didn't recognize, but I am not a pop culture junkie) what they thought about living in Zagreb, and his response was 'I don't know what the economic conditions are here, but everyone seems really well dressed.' Now, that may sound like a really ignorant thing to say, but it is actually a really accurate and insightful observation. It really doesn't matter how good or bad the economy is here, the people of Zagreb are going to look good. This was the most fashion conscious city I had ever lived in the last time I was here, and that hasn't really changed in the last 5 years.

Tonight will be an interesting experiment in cross cultural communication. There is a half hour show on 'Američki footbal' (actually, in the TV listing they are calling it Američki nogomet, but on the promo they actually said footbal), so it will be interesting to see what they say about it.

By the way, if you're curious about what the weather is like here, there is a weather page I found:

http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:HRXX0005

Ok, one final note, I will write about my research and give an update on the Bosnian elections from the perspective of Zagreb next post.