Thursday, October 12, 2006

Zagreb doesn't disappoint.


Some times when I am here I start to think that I am really on the wrong track. Especially when I can't find anything in the local literature that supports my thesis. I even get asked by local people why I am bothering to study Zagreb at all, its such a small and insignificant city. But, when ever I start feeling I am on the wrong track, something happens to convince me I am on the right track after all. I knew there would be a demonstration on the Square last night after Croatia won the game. I even thought about going down there myself, but my camera really isn't designed for night time photos so I figured I would wait to see what the papers said. Well, Večernji list didn't let me down. Now, what's interesting about this headline is that they use an old, pre-1945 name for the square; Jelačić plac, which is a slavitization of the German word platz, and was used before the name of the square was changed to Trg Republika (Republic Square). No one has used that old local name for the square (plac) in about 60 years, but the paper obviously felt they could use it in the headline and people would know it.

Oh, in case you're curious about why I took a picture of the newspaper, I am working out the best techinque for using the camera to make copies of the newspapers in the library when I start working in that section of the library (hopefully next week).