Monday, November 06, 2006

A brief break to laugh

Yes, I know it has been a while since I have posted. I'm facing a couple of deadlines for submitting funding applications and conference abstracts. I'm also trying to adjust my working thesis to what I am finding in my research. When I was an infantry officer the instructors at every school I went to kept pounding us with "no battle plan survives contact with the enemy." Well, it clearly has an academic corollary: No thesis survives contact with the field. In my case, it is not a bad thing. When I came here, I had a working thesis about Croatian nationalism and the city of Zagreb. I also had a larger thesis about urbanization and the failure of Yugoslavia. At this point, my thesis about Zagreb is not as supportable as I originally thought, but what I am finding actually supports my larger thesis about Yugoslavia, so it is not a disaster. So, where is the laughter you ask? Well, in taking a break and checking out one of the on line BB's I frequent, I came across this. Take a read and enjoy. If only I could get people to pay me to do that kind of research.