Monday, April 02, 2007

Busy days.



So, getting finished up here. Sunday was a long day. My landlords invited me to go look at storks in Cigoc, which is a small (really small, like 300 people small) town southeast of Sisak (the city of Croatian Victory, at least that is what the sign says on the way into town) close to the Sava. The storks fly in to nest (on top of the houses).

On the way there I found out that it was a very important day for Croatia. Not Palm Sunday, that happens every year, but Croatia was playing Hungary in the finals of the world championship of water polo. So, when we got to Cigoc we parked at the little gostionica where we were going to have some lunch before heading back, and of course, they had the match on TV. We got to see the last 20 seconds or so of the game. Croatia won. One of the Cigoc residents watching the game actually jumped up out of his seat when the last second counted off.

So, an interesting contrast. I can't imagine if the USA was in the finals for the world championship of water polo that anyone would actually watch the game. Part of it I am sure was that they were playing Hungary, which used to technically own Croatia. But part of it is just that Croats know their country is pretty small. They don't get to be best in the world at a lot of things, so this really makes the feel good.

Tomorrow I get to see the square in action. The team will be formally welcomed home at 1pm local time on the square. I imagine there will be somewhere between 50 and 100 thousand people there to great them (depends on weather I am sure). Unfortunately I think that means I won't be able to get much done tomorrow afternoon, but that's life.

Oh, and the picture is of my dinner tonight (and one of the things I will miss about Zagreb), pizza with an egg on it.